The present Kagumo TTC – which started as a primary school- has a long history as an institution of learning; a history that stretches back towards the early years of the 20th century. The land parcels on which the college stands were acquired for institutional purposes through the intervention and mediation of the African council in the late 1920s. However, the actual construction of the first buildings – offices for the principal – began in 1930. One, Mr. Carr, was the first contractor for the institution. This institution opened doors with a humble enrolment of eight (8) students and a small staff of six (6) for the primary teachers’ training college in 1944. Later, it expanded to cater for an increased demand for teachers in the country. This significant expansion was strengthened further when Kagumo became an academic complex through the introduction of a secondary school wing in 1949.
The primary, secondary and college academic programmes harmoniously co-existed until 1960 when it became necessary to restructure the physical co-existence. Consequently, the primary school wing was renamed as ‘Kiambuiri primary school’ and was relocated to an adjacent parcel of land where it stands to-date. At the same time, the secondary school section was shifted to a new location in the Kiganjo area of Nyeri. However, its name remained as ‘Kagumo High School’. The original institutional facilities were left for the expansion of Kagumo TTC. The growth went on successfully and by 1982 the college had produced 6,661 qualified primary school teachers.